Outdoor flooring not only makes your home more functional but it also enhances its overall appeal. In addition to these benefits, it also ensures the safety and comfort of your space and provides essential support to your house, shielding it from external elements like weather, heat, water, and pressure.
Choosing the right material for your outdoor flooring is not easy as there are several outdoor flooring options out there. This can be overwhelming especially if this is your first time working on an outdoor flooring project.
That’s why in this piece, we’re going to tell you some of the best outdoor flooring ideas out there and their pros and cons so you can properly weigh your options. But read until the end to know what’s the best outdoor flooring for your outdoor living space.
Poured concrete is a popular and durable outdoor flooring material. It’s made of a mixture of cement, sand, gravel, and water, which is poured into the construction forms to hold the concrete in place and then left to harden and cure.
Poured concrete is a versatile choice, perfect for various outdoor areas. It works well for driveways, patios, walkways, pool decks, and even larger areas like basketball courts or outdoor entertaining spaces.
One of the significant benefits of a concrete patio floor is its strength and longevity. Here are some more pros and cons so you can properly weigh your option:
Pros of poured concrete flooring
- It can withstand heavy foot traffic;
- It’s weather resistant;
- It is resistant to wear and tear;
- It’s also relatively low maintenance, requiring occasional cleaning and sealing to keep it looking fresh;
- It provides a smooth and sleek surface, perfect for those who prefer a modern and minimalistic look;
- Concrete can be poured into various shapes and sizes, making it suitable for different outdoor areas.
Cons of poured concrete flooring
- It can be susceptible to cracking over time due to changes in temperature and settling of the ground;
- A concrete patio floor can become slippery when wet, which can be a safety concern;
- Concrete does not provide natural insulation so it may feel cold during colder seasons and hot during summers.
Overall, poured concrete is a durable and versatile outdoor flooring option that suits various applications. If you’re looking for a long-lasting and low-maintenance outdoor flooring option, a concrete patio floor could be an excellent choice for your project!
Pavers are also a popular choice for outdoor flooring, offering a wide range of design options and practical benefits. They are individual units made from either concrete, natural stone, or even recycled materials. Pavers also come in different shapes, sizes, colours, and patterns, allowing for creative and customizable outdoor spaces.
If you’re looking to install pavers in your outdoor space, here are some advantages and disadvantages for you to ponder upon.
Pros of pavers
- Endless design possibilities to match your aesthetic preferences and create unique outdoor spaces;
- Pavers are highly durable and can withstand heavy foot traffic, making them ideal for areas like driveways and pathways;
- If a paver becomes damaged or stained, it can be easily replaced without damaging the rest of the surface;
- Paver installation can be a feasible DIY project for some homeowners, saving on labour costs;
- The gaps between pavers allow water to permeate the surface, reducing the risk of puddles of water and improving overall drainage;
- Pavers can withstand freezing temperatures without cracking, making them suitable for regions with harsh winters.
Cons of pavers
- The upfront cost of pavers, especially high-quality materials, can be higher compared to other outdoor flooring options like concrete or basic asphalt;
- Despite the joint sand, weeds can occasionally grow between the pavers;
- Over time, pavers might shift or settle, leading to an uneven surface;
- While suitable for regular foot traffic and light vehicles, pavers might not be the best option for extremely heavy vehicles or industrial applications.
Whether you’re looking to create an inviting outdoor patio, a beautiful garden path, or a functional driveway, pavers offer a durable and visually appealing outdoor flooring solution for homeowners of all tastes and needs.
Gravel and Pebbles
Gravel and pebbles are natural outdoor flooring materials that can add a rustic and charming touch to your outdoor spaces.
They are composed of small rocks and stone, with gravel typically being larger than pebbles. These materials can be used in various outdoor settings to create walkways, driveways, outdoor patio, and garden pathways.
Gravel and pebbles are installed by first preparing the site, levelling the ground, and creating a compacted base. Then, the gravel or pebbles are spread evenly over the prepared area. The loose nature of these materials allows for easy installation and can often be a DIY-friendly option.
Pros of gravel and pebbles
- Gravel and pebbles blend well with outdoor landscapes and gardens, adding charm to the overall ambience;
- It allows rainwater to seep through the gaps and prevents the formation of puddles or standing water;
- These materials require minimal upkeep;
- Gravel and pebbles are often more budget-friendly compared to other outdoor flooring options;
- Homeowners with basic DIY skills can install gravel or pebbles themselves, saving on installation costs.
Cons of gravel and pebbles
- Gravel and pebbles create a very uneven surface, not ideal if you’re looking for a levelled flooring;
- Heavy foot traffic or vehicles can cause displacement of the natural stone over time;
- Gravel and pebbles are not ideal for heavy vehicular traffic;
- Without proper weed barriers, weeds can occasionally grow through the gaps in the gravel or pebbles;
- Some types of gravel or pebbles may have sharp edges, which could be uncomfortable for bare feet.
Have you seen nicely groomed grass in a garden? Well, don’t get fooled, because it might just be artificial grass.
Artificial grass, also known as synthetic turf, is a popular outdoor flooring material that offers a lush, green lawn-like appearance without the need for natural grass maintenance. It is made from synthetic fibres that mimic the look and feel of real grass, providing a durable and low-maintenance solution for outdoor spaces.
Here are some pros and cons of this outdoor flooring option:
Pros of artificial grass
- It has minimal upkeep compared to natural grass. No need for mowing, watering, or fertilising;
- Regardless of the season or climate, artificial grass maintains its lush, green appearance;
- It won’t wear out like natural grass in high-traffic areas;
- It can be a great option for allergy sufferers;
- Can withstand pet activities without becoming muddy or damaged;
- This grass doesn’t require watering;
- It can be installed in various outdoor spaces, including lawns, outdoor patio, rooftops, and play areas.
Cons of artificial grass
- Artificial fake grass can become hot in direct sunlight, making it less comfortable to walk on during very hot days;
- Some people may still find it not as natural looking and texture as real grass;
- While artificial grass is low maintenance overall, it may still require occasional cleaning to remove debris and prevent the buildup of dirt or pet waste;
- In certain conditions, artificial grass may trap odours if not cleaned regularly;
- If this type of fake grass gets wet, it can become extremely slippery;
- It does have a limited lifespan, and it may eventually wear down over time.
While artificial grass is not perfect, artificial grass could be the perfect outdoor flooring solution for you especially if you desire a low-maintenance and visually appealing lawn.
Outdoor tiles are hard and durable outdoor flooring materials that are made from various materials. They are designed to withstand outdoor conditions, including exposure to sunlight, rain, and temperature changes.
Outdoor tiles are also specifically manufactured to be slip-resistant and weather-resistant, ensuring they can endure different environmental factors. They are commonly used for patios, decks, balconies, pool areas, and other outdoor living spaces to create a stylish and functional surface.
Depending on your preferences and budget, your outdoor tile options may vary:
- Natural stone
Below are some of the pros and cons of these tiles as an outdoor flooring option.
Pros of tiles
- Outdoor flooring tiles are designed to withstand harsh weather conditions and heavy foot traffic;
- With a wide range of materials, sizes, colours, and patterns, outdoor tiles offer versatile design options for you;
- Many outdoor tiles like ceramic and porcelain ones are easy to clean and require minimal upkeep;
- Outdoor tiles can be water and slip resistant, making them suitable for wet areas like pool decks or outdoor showers;
- High-quality outdoor tiles retain their colour and appearance even after prolonged exposure to sunlight.
Cons of tiles
- They can be a little heftier in price tag compared to other outdoor flooring options;
- Certain tile materials, like ceramic or porcelain, do not provide natural insulation so they may feel cold during colder seasons and hot during summers;
- While tiles are generally durable, they may crack under extreme pressure or if they are not properly installed.
Another type of outdoor flooring tiles that you might be interested in is rubber tiles. Here’s how it’s different from the rest.
Rubber tiles are designed to provide a durable, slip-resistant, and comfortable surface for various outdoor spaces. You can use them for both commercial and residential purposes.
The rubber tile material offers you comfort, thanks to its smooth surface and its slip resistance ensures your safety as well. You can rely on the material for years but it also requires high maintenance.
Nevertheless, rubber materials are great in areas that require impact absorption, such as playgrounds, sports facilities, gyms, and even residential outdoor spaces like patios and decks.
Decking is one of the most popular outdoor flooring ideas used to create functional and visually appealing spaces for relaxation, entertainment, and dining.
It consists of a series of wooden planks or boards, typically made from hardwoods like cedar, redwood, or tropical hardwoods, or from composite materials that blend wood fibres with plastic.
One of the key features of decking is its versatility. It can be designed and customised to fit various outdoor spaces, such as balconies, terraces, patios, pool decks, or standalone decks in the garden.
Why composite wood decking is better than timber decking
Composite decking and traditional wood decking are two of the most popular choices for outdoor flooring. While both options have their own set of advantages and disadvantages, composite wood decking is often considered a better option for several reasons:
- Composite decking lasts longer and doesn’t rot, decay, or warp;
- Composite decking also needs less upkeep, while timber decking requires regular staining or sealing, composite decking only needs a little cleaning and maintenance – for maintenance tips, read this.
- Composite decking uses recycled materials, reducing waste, and its production is more sustainable than harvesting natural wood for timber decking;
- It retains its colour and resists stains better than timber decking;
- It also doesn’t splinter, making it safer, especially for kids and pets;
- Composite wood decking offers more colours and textures for various outdoor styles.
What makes an outdoor floor good?
In this section, we are going to discuss some of the qualities of outdoor flooring you must know and look for. If you’re a homeowner looking to revamp your patio, keep these things in mind:
Australians do love the classic setup in the exterior parts of the house. With a good flooring design, they can fulfill their choices.
Adding outdoor floors gives you a relaxing sitting corner in the house. You can put some furniture in the garden and decorate it with plants to make it more interesting and beautiful for your guests. Composite wood decking in Melbourne is one of the flooring options that add classiness and elegance to the exterior spaces of the house.
Having an old architectural structure in the house makes it look dull after some time. Adding up modernity to it is important to refresh its appearance. You can also add a modern sober look with Melbourne outdoor flooring. Carpeting and artificial grasses are one of the ways of adding modernity to your outdoors. You feel relaxed and enjoy leisure time with modern designs in the garden.
Looking for an exquisite appeal to your space? Try out the best quality Melbourne outdoor flooring which gives a timeless charm and soothing effect in your house. You can add some outdoor accessories to decorate the flooring and make it more attractive. There are different outdoor designs you can check to bring that timelessness to your space and make it stand out differently.
Outdoor flooring makes your house quirky because of the look it offers. Your home looks well-structured and designed with proper outdoor flooring. You can sit with your loved ones on the balconies and gardens with creatively developed outdoor flooring. Having quirky designs on the floor offers you a casual and funky vibe in the house.
Do you like to add creativity to your outdoor space? Then you should choose outdoor flooring. The flooring helps to give a creative appeal to the house and makes it striking to the guests. You can use your creativity to design the outdoor space. With a variety of flooring options, you can decorate your garden properly.
What is the best outdoor flooring to use?
It’s undoubtedly composite wood decking. It is an environment-friendly material that you can easily install at an affordable price.
Composite deck boards also come in several designs, colours, and structures which is not possible with all other flooring options. Not to mention, it is also easy to handle and care for.
There’s nothing you can ask for in composite wood decking. It is more highly resistant to heat and pressure unlike artificial grass, has a more comfortable underfoot feel than poured concrete, is more versatile than pavers style-wise, certainly less prone to cracking than tiles, and lastly, more aesthetically pleasing than gravels and pebbles!
Composite wood decking has everything you want in outdoor flooring. While the material itself is a bit steep in price, it’s worth the money given its longevity and durability.
If you’re a homeowner looking to start an outdoor flooring project, composite wood decking is worth the investment!
What are the cheapest outdoor flooring options?
If you’re a little tight with the budget, you can go for budget-friendly outdoor flooring ideas like pavers, concrete floor, and artificial grass. But keep in mind that cheap outdoor flooring is not always the best thing as it doesn’t always guarantee durability and longevity.
If you want more cost-effective outdoor flooring, you might want to look at composite wood decking options like WoodEvo for your outdoor patio flooring.
Why choose WoodEvo composite decking as your outdoor floor
- highly durable
- weather resistant
- resistant to heat, scratch, fading, and slipping
- High-grade UV protection
- Up to 30 years warranty
- It’s eco friendly
WoodEvo’s Composite wood decking also comes in several natural-looking timber colours to match your design preferences for your outdoor space. So no matter what design you come up with for your patio,
rooftop decks or new deck, WoodEvo’s wide range of outdoor composite deck flooring won’t disappoint!
How we can help you
Whenever you plan for Melbourne outdoor flooring you can contact WoodEvo. We have a huge team working on flooring and decking solutions.
Our experts can visit your home and inspect the area you want to install your flooring. WoodEvo specialises in modern deckings like Eco decks, plastic decks, and composite decking.
We can upgrade the appeal of your house with the latest technology flooring. If you visit our website, you can check all the technical documents of our company which gives you an idea of our work.
You can also check the warranty manual to get an idea of general warranty terms. A guidance book for installation is also provided for the customer’s knowledge.
If you want a free sample of our WoodEvo composite decking, order here!