Incorporating commercial decking in your business’s overall design is more than just an aesthetic choice. It can also be a valuable investment as it can also enhance your customers’ experience and potentially boost your company’s revenue.
In this piece, we’re going discuss what is commercial decking and how it can make a great impact on your business.
What is commercial decking?
As you already know, decking is a strong flat material used as a furnishing material to make outdoor spaces more functional. You normally see them in the backyard or front yard of homes but you can also see them in commercial spaces like bars, restaurants, event venues and corporate offices. This type of decking is called commercial decking.
Whether it’s a restaurant, café, hotel, retail store, office, or entertainment venue, commercial decking offers businesses the opportunity to expand their footprint, attract more customers, and create memorable experiences in outdoor settings.
It can significantly impact the overall success and appeal of commercial space by providing a unique, comfortable, and versatile area for people to gather and enjoy.
How does commercial decking elevate a business?
Commercial decking can provide significant benefits to businesses in Australia.
First, it adds usable outdoor space for customers and employees. This extra space can be used for outdoor seating, allowing you to expand your capacity during peak times or special events, making your business stand out in a competitive market.
It can also be used for events, or simply as a pleasant area for people to relax.
A well-designed commercial deck also enhances the aesthetics of your business premises. It can attract more customers by giving your establishment a unique and appealing look.
In a country like Australia where outdoor living is highly valued, having an outdoor area like a deck can set your business apart.
When planning a commercial deck, it’s essential to consider factors like the type of material, maintenance requirements, and compliance with local regulations to ensure the best results for your business.
Ways of using commercial decking for your business
Deck near pools
If you have an open restaurant with an outdoor area that includes a pool, such as on a roof top or at a hotel, you can construct a deck in the pool area of the restaurant where customers can sit and enjoy with their families. Adding a sitting area near the pool with a deck makes the ambience more positive for your customers. The ultimate goal is to make your commercial space functional. You can also add a relaxing spa with decking near the pool area if you have the space.
Deck to dance
There are some bars where music is the main key to increasing customer visits. A dance floor is a must in such spaces to make customers feel cheerful. If you add a good quality commercial decking for customers to dance, then your business has more functionality and can attract different kinds of visitors. This is one of the best ways of designing a commercial deck in Melbourne.
Deck designing complements the brand
If you have the right design for your business you can always represent your brand through the decking. For instance, if you run a paid sports zone you must design deck floors with designs of the sports your business runs for Australians. Along with the interior setup of the sports zone your furnishings with a deck should also complement your business.
Planning to construct a rooftop café in Melbourne? Try out commercial decking options to enhance the beauty of the café. A decking rooftop lets you make the most of the space available to you. A food business requires a hygienic environment so with a decking material it is much easier to clean and keep the café tidy. You can add wooden furniture on the rooftop with cushions to make it relaxing for the customers while eating.
Outdoor meeting area
If you are running a corporate business and you want to add a relaxing corner in your office to give your employees a break from work. Adding an outdoor meeting area is one of the ways to elevate your office space. Employees can sit and relax or they can even have business meetings on the deck. The deck area can also be used for afternoon tea or small breaks. A positive office environment can help in employee retention which is good for business growth.
4 Types of Commercial Decking
There are several types of commercial decking materials available in Australia. Materials include hardwood, composite, PVC, metal, and even fibreglass, each with its own set of advantages and considerations. The choice of material often depends on factors like budget, maintenance preferences, aesthetics, and climate conditions.
With so many options available, it’s wise to weigh your priorities and consult with professionals to make the best decision for your commercial space.
Below are the 4 types of commercial decking and their pros and cons:
Commercial composite decking
Commercial composite decking is a combination of plastic and wood fibres used for renovating restaurants and cafes. These are usually situated near tourist areas where the deck is easily installed and small food joints are opened.
Composite decking looks natural which makes it more appealing in the eyes of customers visiting tourist spots. Tourists feel comfortable sitting in deck bars and enjoy the spots with closed ones.
- Composite decking requires minimal upkeep
- Composite decking is highly resistant to rot, insects, and decay
- Unlike natural wood that can fade over time, composite decking maintains its colour and appearance for years, thanks to UV-resistant pigments
- Composite decking is smooth and splinter-free
- With anti-slip resistance
- A well-maintained composite deck can last significantly longer than traditional wood decks
- Composite decking tends to have a higher upfront cost compared to some wood options
- Most composite decking can retain heat, making it uncomfortable to walk on during hot Australian summers. But not WoodEvo composite decking. It will stay cool even in direct sunlight
If you want to add modern decking in your event spots or cafes you can go for PVC decking. It is a polyvinyl chloride material that helps you to get a long-lasting material with less maintenance. In event venues, a huge audience is invited to increase the popularity of the events organised.
A good quality PVC deck in the center area of the events faces a huge crowd so it needs to be of good quality. So, PVC decking is a good choice for that. It makes the audience visit comfortable and makes the event space functional.
- PVC decking is virtually maintenance-free. It doesn’t require staining, sealing, or painting, just sweeping and hosing down every now and then to clean it.
- It’s an excellent choice for humid and wet climates
- Just like composite decking, PVC decking is smooth and splinter-free
- PVC decking has a long lifespan, often outlasting traditional wood decking materials
- PVC decking tends to be more expensive
- PVC decking can retain heat, especially if it’s a dark colour
- PVC decking can expand and contract with temperature changes, potentially leading to gaps or movement in the deck boards
- PVC itself is not biodegradable and is associated with certain environmental concerns
Fibreglass decking is the new demand in businesses because of its durability and finish. It can be used in extreme weather conditions because of its high resistance. If you have a restaurant business in wide open areas then you must go for a fiberglass commercial deck in Melbourne. It makes your business interiors strong and eye-catching.
- It can withstand harsh weather conditions, making it suitable for different climates across Australia
- Fibreglass decking often comes with a textured surface that provides excellent slip resistance, even when wet
- Fibreglass decking requires minimal maintenance
- Fibreglass decking is lightweight compared to some other decking materials
- It may not offer the natural look of wood. This might be a consideration if aesthetics are a priority for your commercial space
- Proper installation of fibreglass decking requires expertise to ensure structural integrity and proper sealing to prevent leaks
- Like other materials, fibreglass decking can expand and contract with temperature changes
- While fibreglass is durable, it’s worth considering the environmental impact of manufacturing and disposal
Wooden decking is the oldest form of decking in commercial spaces. It is easily available and relatively cheaper than other decking materials. It is a pure wooden material used to build floors of open restaurants and bars. It is one of the most appealing decking materials for business setups. If you want to build shacks near tourist spots then a wooden deck is a great option for you.
When selecting the right type of commercial decking, it’s essential to consider factors such as the intended use of the space, maintenance requirements, budget, and the overall design aesthetics that align with your business.
- Wood decking provides a warm, natural, and classic look that many people find appealing
- Australian hardwoods like Jarrah, Spotted Gum, and Merbau offer a range of colours and textures to choose from
- Traditional wood decking can be more budget-friendly upfront
- Wood decking can be sanded, stained, or refinished if it gets scratched or shows signs of wear
- Wood decking generally doesn’t retain heat, making it more comfortable to walk on during hot days
- Wood decking requires regular maintenance, including staining, sealing, and occasional sanding to protect it from moisture, insects, and decay
- While some hardwoods are naturally durable, others might be more susceptible to rot, insects, and weather damage
- Sun exposure can lead to fading
- Wood decking can develop splinters over time, which can be uncomfortable for bare feet
- Harvesting and using wood decking may raise concerns about deforestation and sustainability
- Even with proper maintenance, wood decking tends to have a shorter lifespan
Why choose Woodevo commercial decking?
If you also want to add commercial decking to your space to increase customer attention you must try out WoodEvo commercial decking. WoodEvo brings you the best quality commercial decking at an affordable rate.
We have a range of decking products available for your business. All of our commercial composite decking products are:
- Highly durable
- Resistant to staining, fading, splinters, and decay
- Cool even when exposed to direct sunlight
- With high slip-resistant rating
- Natural timber looking
- Covered with up to 30 years warrant
Contact us today if you have any more questions.